Friday 28 March 2014

The Guide [Part-2]



~"Sometimes the decisions made by the ones we love tend to tear us apart and we are left broken. The damage, no matter what, cannot be reversed."~

__________________________

I called up mom when I was a bit free. I was really happy because I was looking for a long conversation with her ahead. We started talking but I could sense, she wasn't her usual self.

"Mom? Is everything alright?", I asked her out of concern.

"Mannat, you need to come here. We'll explain everything to you once you're here. But baby, come here tomorrow itself." There was something in her voice which was making me feel that something was pinching her.

The very next moment I hung up and called up dad. I wanted to know what was happening. And I got the same blank answer from him. He told me that he booked tomorrow morning's flight tickets. I insisted on travelling by road. But dad was firm on his words. He wanted me back in Ajmer, as soon as possible.
There was something in the way both of them sounded. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I told Athira about it. She assured me that everything would be fine. They might have been missing me and might just want to have me around. But something was strange. The girl inside me knew that something devastating had happened. I talked about it to Viyaan. Even he couldn't calm down the ocean of worries inside me. Something was freaking upside down and I wanted to know what it was. I was constantly asking mom and dad but it was of no help. I gave up and thought to wait for a while.

The next morning Viyaan accompanied me to the airport. He could sense the uncanny sadness I was hiding. I could see that he wanted to say so much, but inside, even he knew that it's gonna be of no use until I get to know what the matter is. So he gave me all his support just by holding my hand tightly.


When I was about to leave, he hugged me tight and said, "Reach home and call me. Everything is gonna be fine. Be strong baby. Please?"

I hugged him tight. His warm embrace was somehow the solace for my sadness. I said, "I love you. Take care."

"I love you baby. Just make sure to call me whenever you feel like. I'll be there. Take care of yourself, my strong girl." And he kissed my forehead.


I bid him goodbye.

That one hour flight felt something like a decade to me. I couldn't wait to get back home. I landed at Jaipur airport and the car was waiting for me to take me back home, to Ajmer. Those three hours were morbidly horrifying. I sent a text to Viyaan that I reached Jaipur. He respected my decision to be on my own for a while. Solidarity can be beautiful in an unsual way.

I reached home after three hours. My home was looking just like a palatial bungalow. The very feeling of calling it as *Home* had made out its way from my heart.
I entered inside and I was greeted by Meenal Tai, our housemaid. She was more like a family member to us. The very silence of that huge house was indicating the arrival of the storm.

In a while, mom, dad and dadi appeared. My mom, looking like a young lady in her forties wore a blank expression. And dad, his face was reflecting remorse and sadness. Dadi came and hugged me tight.


This unusual silence was killing me.

I broke the silence and said, "Would someone tell me what happened?"

"Why dont you rest for a while beta? Aren't you tired?", asked mom.

"I'm not, mom. Just break the silence. Would you?" I demanded an answer.

Dad spoke up, "Uh...umm, listen beta, we are getting divorced."


And my world was shattered when I heard his words.
"Are you fucking kidding me, dad? Stop joking, would you?" I was looking here and there for answers.

"No, he isn't. We are getting divorced." Mum said those words firmly.

Their words were enough to shatter every bit of me. I fell down on my knees with tears in my eyes. The world around me felt like a mighty stranger mocking at me, laughing on me. All my happiness seemed to have shattered like tiny pieces of glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment